Clover Country Farms News

Welcome to Clover Country Farms blog! We are a small just getting started family farm in SE Texas. We have 4 boys , 1 baby girl, and lots of critters. Have a seat, put your feet up & grab a glass of cold sweet tea & have a look around. Watch us grow and learn from our mistakes... The Good The Bad & The sometimes CRAZY goings on of a Family farm.

Tuesday, December 13

Tuesday Morning

Poor Bryan... went to the dentist yesterday. He had to have a tooth pulled, a new one was growing in underneath it. She wants him to go back Sat, and she may pull the one next to it to make more room. Bryan is NOT impressed! Poor thing. I'm letting him stay home today, he is awful swollen and sore. I told him... this is one of those times that getting great grades pays off!! mom is more lax about letting him stay home from school ;)

Last night I had fun making the clues for the kids to have a scavenger hunt to find their big Christmas presents. I'm gonna have the poor things running all over the neighborhood! lol The way I see it, the kids have such a fun time opening their presents, and this year they are getting less... why not find some way to make it last as long as I can? It should be fun, we'll see.

I have decided to try an new venture here at Clover Country farms. I LOVE to garden, I spend quite a bit of $$ on plants each year... My green house, as ugly as it may be, is working GREAT!! Its just an old swing set frame draped w/ plastic and it has a 100watt light bulb in it for cold nights. The sun keeps it like the tropics in there!

The only problem I have had w/ it is.. not only do the plants love the warm place.. the fire Ants have moved in! grrr those little buggers pack a wallop!

anyway....

I am going to propagate plants to sell. this past year I grew catalpa trees and had good luck selling them. I have had great luck growing tomato plants, herbs, perennials etc... but my fav is trees.

I can root most trees from cuttings from my own yard ( or the yard of nice neighbors ;)) so the only $ I'll be out is the soil & pots. I already have 400 4" pots here, so I'm good for awhile. I figure I can sell most perennials & veggies for $3.95 per 6 pk. and I'll only have about $.80 in em.

And trees, it'll just depend on the tree and the size of it. The trees will have a longer turn-a-round time. but they require so little care and I have an easy time doing them. I have bought young trees for $15 - $35 each, and If I have less than $1 in em... that's a good profit margin!

I figure I'll start by trying it out small scale at the flea market.. that's just $12 for the week-end. and see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home